contact us


The federal Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) enacted as the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) provides historic investment in United States infrastructure. About 60% of this funding is considered formula or directed funds that will have specific federal requirements. The remaining 40% will be competitive grants which will have their own set of federal priorities/requirements. Kansas infrastructure across the transportation, water, energy, and technology sectors can benefit in three ways:

  • 1. Funding certainty for 5 years means federal, state, and local agencies can do proper planning and make good, long-term investments.
  • 2. Some existing federal formula programs have seen increased funding levels to strengthen and modernize infrastructure.
  • 3. New and increased competitive grant programs have been established.

While most of the formula or directed funding Kansas receives is administered by federal and local entities (except for transportation), some state agencies will administer additional funds. A coordinated approach for state agencies that recognizes the value of public and private partnership and collaboration will serve Kansans well. A state agency subcabinet working group has been established that will focus first on formula funds going to state agencies. The subcabinet includes representatives from the Kansas Departments of Administration, Agriculture, Commerce, Health and Environment, and Transportation, as well as the Kansas Corporation Commission and Kansas Water Office. Eventually this group will reach out to the private sector as well as federal and local agencies to develop partnerships and seek grant funds to strengthen Kansas infrastructure. We’re stronger when we work together, especially when it comes to infrastructure.

Called the Kansas Infrastructure Hub, the subcabinet has established a single point of contact email for partners, citizens, and stakeholders to use for related inquiries, BIL@ks.gov or (bil@ks.gov). The Kansas Infrastructure Hub will be led by Kansas Department of Transportation Secretary, Julie Lorenz, to identify best practices from across the nation for deploying funds and maximizing Kansas’ BIL opportunities.

Please note this is being referred to as a hub because it’s meant to connect multiple agencies to ensure collaboration and be a resource center to help Kansans. It’s not a governing body nor will it distribute funds to individual entities. Federal legislation dictates how these dollars will be distributed and eligibility requirements.

CLICK HERE to download a one-page overview of funding opportunities available in the coming months. Each opportunity has specific eligibility, project, and submission requirements. The PDF document includes links so you can investigate further.


Upcoming Local Consult meetings about BIL | Registration Open

KDOT will host a series of meetings to provide an update on the new funding that will be available for transportation under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. This will include an overview of additional funding available for highways, bridges and rural transit and the new electric vehicle charging infrastructure program. KDOT will preview some of the investment areas under consideration for new funding and seek input from you all about what would be most helpful to communities. The content for all events is the same (an agenda is provided below), please participate in the one most convenient for you.


  • April 11 | Hays | 1-3 PM
  • April 13 | Kansas City | 9-11 AM
  • April 14 | Wichita | 9-11 AM
  • April 27 | Virtual | 9-11 AM


  • What the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) Means for Kansas Transportation
  • 40 minutes
  • New Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Bridge Program Overview
  • 20 minutes
  • Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Program
  • 20 minutes
  • Additional Transit Funding Priorities
  • 15 minutes
  • Additional Resources for Kansas Communities and Next Steps
  • 15 minutes

To Register, click here

Meeting Materials

Click here to access the PowerPoint slides presented at the BIL meetings.