Frequently Asked Questions:

Q:  What kind of registration requirements does  Kansas have for pilots and aircraft?

A:  Kansas has  no state registration requirements for either pilots or aircraft.

Q:  Does Kansas license airports?

A:  No

Q:  How can I order copies of the Kansas  aeronautical chart and airport directory, and how much do you charge for them?

A:  The Kansas  aeronautical chart and airport directory are provided free of charge upon  request.  To order, write to: 

KDOT Aviation

Eisenhower  State Office Bldg.

700  SW Harrison -- 9th Floor

Topeka,  KS  66603-3745

Or send e-mail to:

Or call: (785)  296-2553

Q: What are the new UAS Facility Maps, and how can they be obtained?

A: UAS Facility Maps show the maximum altitudes around airports where the FAA may authorize part 107 UAS operations without additional safety analysis. They are available in an online presentation:

Q: Where is the latest UAS information posted?

A: While KDOT Aviation is very involved with UAS initiatives, and can help with questions directed to our office, FAA always has the latest:  

Q:  How often are the state aeronautical charts  and airport directories produced?

A:  Aeronautical charts (odd years) and airport directories (even years) are produced every other year.